Here's hoping she doesn't see this before it arrives!!!
It's my first attempt at "collage on canvas" and it's come out even better than I'd hoped! Here's how I did it!
- I chose a 8"x10" canvas and painted the edges and about 1" onto the front with acrylic paint. This saves you having to frame it and means it can be hung directly onto the wall or displayed straight on an easel.
- I then took some cream cardstock with words already printed on it.
- I inked the paper with Ranger Distress Inks to create that faded-out distressed look. I chose ink colors that pick-up tones in the picture of the lady.
- Next was to decide on the centre-piece for the collage. The lady was a collage picture I picked up from Michaels previously and seemed elegant and quintessentially Old English!
- I looked hard to find a quote that summed up being a mother. I thought this one was just great! I love it!! I also inked the edges of the paper which I'd rough-torn and smudged the ink over the words to make it look aged.
- I die-cut some cardstock letter tags using my Cuttlebug, removed the letters themselves and back-mounted cream card to make the letters pop out on the page.
- I mod-podge'd all this together with a good three coats and left it to dry.
- I then glued it to the canvas using Tacky Glue and patiently (!) waited for it all to dry before I could add the final embellishments.
- Once dry, I added tonal stick-on pearls to the letter tags, a metal "Cherish" tag and metallic squares at each corner to finish the design.
I'm so pleased with how it's come out!
Hope you enjoyed this! I loved making it and plan to do more!
Check out my Etsy site for the craft stuff I have on sale! I'm starting small but believe that "From Small Acorns, Big Oak Trees Grow".....or something like that!!
The address is http://www.etsy.com/shop/DistinctlyCrafted